It is important that your child, no matter what age they are, has at least one good quality winter hat. Choosing is the hardest part because there is such a fantastic variety of options, plus it can be difficult to know what’s going to keep your child warm, whilst also being functional and looking good.
Designs, cuts and colors vary and what’s also important to note is that as kids grow up their tastes will also change. Whilst a beanie will be suitable for a baby and toddler, older children will want to start venturing into wearing fun designs that could be animal-themed or characters from their favourite movie. Of course then teenagers, well they just want to be cool.
Essential tips to consider when buying a winter hat for your child.
Features of a good winter hat:
- Coverage: A design that covers the head and also the ears
- Secure: A strap that can help to keep the hat secure, especially when buying for little ones who keep trying to pull it off
- Fabric: You are going to want a hat that is made of fabric that is breathable and suitable for the elements. A few options include soft wool, fleece, cashmere and organic cotton or bamboo. Not only are these fabrics comfortable, but they’re also very warm. It is important that when dressing a baby, you consider the hat or beanie carefully because it is essential you prevent overheating. A good synthetic option is polar fleece, which has qualities similar to natural fibres but is a little less expensive.
- Uses: Not only should the hat offer a comfortable fit but it needs to be fit for purpose. Consider where it will be used. Is it simply to keep out the cold air and provide warmth or will it be worn in the rain and snow too.
- Cleaning: As with all clothing, consider how easy it will be to wash and keep clean. If that hat is going to cause you more trouble than it’s worth, look for something more user-friendly. Maintenance is important.
- Color: Whilst the color of the hat may not be your top priority, consider this. Is the color bright or the design and pattern bold enough so that you could spot your child from a crowd, if you needed to?
Types of winter hats
You’ll soon realise that there are lots of different types of winter hats for babies and kids available.
- Beanie: The most common would have to be the beanie. Beanie hats are probably the most popular knitted hat style and a winter staple for most.
- Bobble: Then there is the bobble hat which is really just a regular beanie with a pom-pom on the top.
- Aviator: These hats have flaps or with ears and are arguably some of the warmest winter hats.
Whether your child wants something simple or a fun animal character design, as long as they are warm and it is fit for purpose, it should probably get your tick of approval
What are your tips for buying a winter wardrobe for your child?