Women should feel confident breastfeeding their babies, anywhere and anytime. Breastfeeding is an everyday occurrence that everyone should feel comfortable doing. Of course every nursing mother has a different comfort zone when it comes to being out and about.
Mothers deserve to feel comfortable latching baby on in busy public places…places such as a coffee shop, in front of friends, at a play centres and even in the mall rather than feeling like they have to hide out of the way.
Here are some tips to help you breastfeed discreetly in public:
- It is your right to breastfeed: You have every right to feed your baby when they are hungry. Don’t ever apologise for that.
- Get comfortable: Find yourself a comfortable place to sit.
- Dress for the occasion: Being prepared is going to be the most beneficial. Nursing bras and breastfeeding tops are the obvious choices, there are plenty of regular clothes that you can wear to nurse confidently.
One really handy garment I recommend you investing in, is a special nursing covers that actually offers multiple uses. Something that’s pretty, functional and does not scream ‘nursing cover’.
Take a look at this lightweight, eco-friendly poncho. It’s a nursing cover that provides warmth, acts as a subtle shield and is great for day and night.
- It features buttons on one side allowing it to be easily worn and adjusted
- Wear in 3 ways: over one shoulder as a toga-styled tunic or as a wrap
- Machine washable
When you are not nursing, it doubles as an attractive garment. The stigma attached to nursing in public isn’t fair, and it doesn’t make sense however the fact is that many people are uncomfortable seeing a woman’s breast in any setting. Times will change!