We all need a bit of sunshine to stay healthy and happy and, as busy as our lives are, sometimes we don’t have enough time to sit outside and get our daily requisite. Vitamin D is an essential vitamin to our body during pregnancy and beyond, so we can absorb calcium and promote bone growth, as well as being thought to stave off depression and even weight gain.
Our Vitamin D requirements depend on many factors such as age, weight, skin colour, time of year and individual health. So what can we do?
Of course spending long hours in the sun can be very unhealthy and laying in the sun when pregnant is probably something you should avoid. However the sun enriches your body with vitamin D which is transferred to your unborn little one. So long as you don’t overdo it, the sun will do you AND your baby a world of good!
Here are some simple ways to get your daily sunlight without risking your health or sacrificing your busy schedule.
- Wind down your car window: As you drive from destination to destination wind down the car window and take advantage of those sun rays. Every little bit helps.
- Pull up your sleeves: It may not always be the weather for short sleeves but when you are outside, be mindful of the fact that you can pull your sleeves up a little bit to catch some of those healthy rays.
- Walk on the sunny side of the street: If you are going to choose a side of the street to walk on, opt for the one in the sunshine. Embrace the outdoors and enjoy it while it lasts.
- Walk to get some lunch or take a short stroll each day: Try to get outside as much as you can even if it means going for a walk during your lunch break. We know how important it is to keep active during pregnancy and even if you go for a casual stroll it will make a difference to your day. Just remember to wear comfortable supportive shoes.
- Draw the curtains, open the windows and let the sunshine in: Whenever you can, let the sunshine into your house to keep things feeling fresh. It is so easy to huddle in a closed environment, especially in winter, therefore you need to ensure that you let the sunshine in whenever you can.
- Set yourself up so you can work outside for a period of the day: If you are busy, try finding the balance to sit outside even while you are working. Granted, it is hard to work with a laptop or iPad outdoors, but if you position yourself correctly, you might be able to avoid a distracting reflection.
- Take your coffee or juice outdoors: As much as you might like to sit in the coffee shop or juice bar, grab your drink to go and sit in the park or other outdoor area. You will definitely feel better for it.
These simple tips will give you the burst of sunshine you need to feel healthy and happy. Approximately 20 minutes of sunshine each day will do wonders for your system.