Whether you are wanting to hide your early-stages baby bump from your boss,
colleagues, friends or family, it’s good news!
There are lots of tricks you can use to disguise your changing shape and re-direct eyes elsewhere. Don’t completely overhaul your style though, lest you raise suspicions, but veer towards looser cuts with layered details.
16 clothing styles and designs you can wear to help you hide your pregnancy bump
- Sweaters – One size larger than your normal choice. Chunky sweaters and cardigans paired over one of your shirts will help distract eyes away from your belly
- Long tops – Longer lined tops that that end at your hips, paired with jeans (unbutton them if you must or wear a belly belt)
- Peasant shirt or blouse – Designed to be worn loose. The perfect option.
- Men’s-style button-downs – But not men’s-sized!
- Mini-dresses with a straight cut – Drawing attention to your legs and not your belly
- Shirt-dresses – Belted just above or below your tummy
- Layers – Unless you are trying to hide your pregnancy right in the middle of summer, layers of clothing will be your best friend. A nice winter coat or work blazer can help you conceal a growing belly
- Long tunics – Pair with some skinny jeans (they need not be maternity…yet)
- Ruffles – Shirts, dresses or tops that have ruffles on them. Cool and comfortable.
- Black – Black makes your belly bump look a lot smaller or even makes it completely disappear. Stick with dark colors including navy blue, dark grey, and chocolate brown. Black leggings with a loose fitting top (as per #3) will look fabulous!
- Prints or patterns – Certain prints can do a great job at hiding a baby bump. The print on the shirt or dress will actually hide any bump if you choose the right print. Don’t go for a horizontal print but instead look for something in a diagonal print or a vertical print that will help slim your body. Handkerchief dresses are also great options as they flow.
- Accessories – Scarves and jewellery help to pull attention away from your stomach area
- Wrap tops – Anything that can drape across your body like a wrap top is a great idea. You may just be surprised at how this works and no one will even notice the little bump you may have going on.
- Continue to wear regular jeans or pants – Extend the life of your non-maternity jeans (here are 5 clever tips) by purchasing a waist-expanders
- A large handbag – Position your bag in front of your bump, making for a very stylish disguise
- Baby doll – A cute babydoll shirt or dress can make a bump invisible to prying eyes
And if you want to hide your belly at work, from friends or just in general until you are ready to make the announcement, here’s what you must avoid!
- Anything oversized and tent-like – it will be too obvious
- Lycra or any figure hugging clothes
- Empire waist shirts
- Shirts or tops that tie in the back
- Maternity clothes because, well, that’s just a giveaway. (of course you can wear maternity clothes if you are not pregnant, that’s perfectly ok!)
How about you? How did you keep your early-stages pregnancy under wraps?